Tuesday, April 29, 2008

21-Day Challenge- Day 2: Ideas Fly In



















Wow! This morning we looked out our back window and saw this bird, pecking away at a rotted stump. I think it's called a Pileated Woodpecker. My daughter took the photo through the window in the rain with maximum zoom, which is why it's a bit hazy. There must have been a plethora of worms in there...

Yesterday was my start day for the 21-day creative challenge. I wrote for 15 minutes and filled 2 pages of my notebook, writing as quickly as I could, trying not to think too much. The first page left me feeling kind of blah, but by the second I think I hit upon a decent idea. It's a starting point, at least. And it felt really good! It's funny how it takes a bit of a warm up for the ideas to start flying in...

I'm thinking I might post my daily challenge round-ups on Thursdays, unless I miraculously have a bit more time... or have nothing else to post. Guess I'm not being extremely organized about this.

If you want to participate, come and join us!

Here's a list of people taking part so far:

Alicia Padrón
Diana Evans
Gina Perry
Jannie Ho
Jess
Kathleen Rietz
Kim Fleming
Mayy. C
Mônica Carnesi
Paola de Gaudio
Ryan Loghry
Sheree Boyd
Teri Skrdla
Tom Barrett

11 comments:

Alicia Padrón said...

Good for you Jennifer! I'm proud :o)

Look at the woodpecker! They are so beautiful aren't they?

Gina Perry said...

Good for you, keep up the writing! I always cringe when I see/hear woodpeckers. They are much cuter when they are eating a rotting stump than your own rotting house. I spent many days last year shoo-ing one away from the house just outside my office. I must have looked mad throwing rocks at the house (not the bird!) to scare it away. The only thing that did the trick was repairing the house. This spring they've returned - but to a neighbor's tree thankfully! Mmm, but I digress - good luck with the 15 minutes of writing!

Kathleen Rietz said...

I am glad you decided to join us! Welcome into to the fold! Can't wait to see more posts.

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks, Alicia! Yes, this one was really stunning. He was big, too!

And thanks, Gina! Wow-- we've never had a woodpecker go after the house. Mice, bats, ants, carpenter bees, yes-- it's probably only a matter of time. ;-)

And thanks, Kate! Glad to be here!

Unknown said...

Great work Jennifer! keep it up...thanks for popping in today...I use the Winsor & Newton Brilliant Watercolour Designers series of paints...the colours are amazing...and so vibrant...and I use like a teensy tiny bit of paint...

Have a great day and can't wait to see more of your posts...

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks Diana! That's interesting about the W & N watercolors-- I use the same, but they say "Artist's Water Colour" on the tube, not "brilliant." They are professional grade as opposed to student, but Iwonder if this is another line...

Frank Gardner said...

That is a nice woodpecker. My folks get some of those in their yard once in a while too.
I'm glad that you decided to use the challenge to do writting. I'm too busy right now to commit to joining you on this one.

Anonymous said...

That's a great idea, Jennifer, to work on your writing! It will be fun to see your creative process at work as you come up with new ideas.

Great woodpecker! I live in a city, but near parks and sometimes we get to hear one. It's kind of magical...

RyanLoghry said...

Hey Jennifer! We have those woodpeckers around here too. I saw one the other day, sitting atop a streetlight in town. Everyonce in a while he'd rat-a-tat-tat the top of the pole. It sounded like a jackhammer. No fooling. 8 )

Anonymous said...

Hi Jennifer, good to meet you too through the 21 days challenge :)
You're so right about the ideas thing coming after a 'warm up'. I always seem to go through a phase of giving up in despair then suddenly getting going again! It must be an essential part of the creative process :)

Jennifer Thermes said...

Hi Frank-- I know what you mean about busy... I had about a week of down time and then once I said yes things picked up again. Of course. But this is good for me. Otherwise the writing time is the first thing that slips through the cracks.

Hi Monica-- That's funny, my daughter and I were just talking the other day about the difference in nature noises that you'd hear in a city vs. the country. Thanks for your comment!

Hi Ryan-- They're loud, aren't they?!

Hi Jess-- Yes, I think it is essential! So hard to break through that initial resistance, but worth it... :-)