Tuesday, July 15, 2008

R & R, and R















Yep-- that's what vacation was all about. Good R & R with favorite, far-flung relatives; beach time, bike rides, long walks, and lots of time to read. (Confession: I did have to bring a bit of work. But only a little. It's hard to schedule a vacation when you freelance. And hard to say "no" to work. Make hay while the sun is shining, as they say.)

For some reason I find it easy to read at the beach. Just plop myself down under an umbrella and off I go. With occasional breaks to jump in the water. (Though even with 30spf sunscreen I still managed to burn. Ouch!)

My intention was to do tons of drawing and writing. But books always manage to take precedence at the shore. Maybe it has something to do with the lazy rhythm of the waves.

This is what I read, if anyone's interested:

- Castles in the Air by Judy Corbett
- A Dog's Life by Ann M. Martin
- Prom by Laurie Halse Anderson
- 89 pages of The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett but I just couldn't get into it. (I know it's really popular but there was too much lusty girding of the loins stuff for my taste. Seemed kinda silly...)
- Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides
- Write Away by Elizabeth George (Still reading.)

So many more on my to-read list, and it's only July!

2 comments:

Christine Mercer-Vernon said...

ahhh....look at that picture...so relaxing! i'm on the countdown, 4 days to go! can't wait. i'm trying to finish up my freelance work so i can relax. although we have no internet where i go. looking forward to doing some painting. glad you had a great time!!

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks, Christine! It was great to get away-- takes a few days just to wind down from all the preparing and packing!

So nice to hear about the baby clothes going to someone who really needs them. Tears, yes, but in a good way, right? :-)