Thursday, January 3, 2008

List of Three

I've mastered the art of making lists:
  • Books-I-want-to-read lists
  • Idea lists
  • Art and office supply lists
  • Check-out-on-the-web lists
  • Plants-to-try-in-the-garden lists
  • Remind-the-kids-and-hubby lists
  • What-to-cook-for-dinner lists
  • Paint-colors-I-have-and-need lists
  • And, of course, an endless variety of To-Do lists
I guess these lists give me the illusion of control-- or at least of making life seem more manageable. But lately I've been thinking that maybe they're not working as well as I'd like. They lead to a sense of failure if I don't accomplish enough every day (whatever "enough" may be.)

So for this year's New Years Resolution I'm going to start a daily List of Three. The three top items that I must get done every day. Whether it be a job deadline or planning a new illustration piece or doodling in my sketchbook. Because after the three are done I can go back to the other lists and just have fun, without that sense of feeling at loose ends by the end of the day. We'll see how it goes!

Here are some posts about resolutions that I've found inspiring (and yes, I'll admit-- I've started a list...):

3 comments:

Sara said...

I love this idea! Top three, and then you're free. Excellent.

Jennifer Thermes said...

Thanks, Sara-- and you paraphrased it perfectly!

gail said...

Thanks for the links! Some good blogs there I hadn't read before.

Good idea on the more manageable lists. Plus three is a magic number!

gail